If it's really important that no one in your house knows you have visited our website - you need to know how to make your website visits disappear. You can prevent your history being viewed by using private or 'incognito' browsers when going online. Or you can clear your history or empty your cache file in your browser's settings.
Please note that clearing the history of websites you have visited, may alert the person tracking you - they may start thinking you have something to hide, so you might only delete some things to not raise suspicion.
How to use private or incognito browsers
A 'browser' is the application or programme you use on your computer to access web pages on the Internet. You will need to know which browser you are using to access the internet.
To find out what browser you are using:
- Click on Help on the toolbar at the top of the browser screen.
- A drop-down menu will appear. The last entry on the menu will read: “About…”, followed by the name of your browser.
- Once you know what browser you are using, follow the instructions below to hide your visit on some of the commonly used browsers.
Open Safari > go to the File menu > select New Private Window
Open Chrome > go to the File menu > select New Incognito Window
Open IE > click the Tools button > select Safety > and then click InPrivate Browsing
Open Firefox > click the menu button ☰ > and then click New Private Window
How to delete your history of websites visited
• How to Delete Browsing History In Internet Explorer 9
• How to Delete Browsing History In Internet Explorer 8
• How to Delete Browsing History In Internet Explorer 7
• Clear Web Browser History Internet Explorer 6
• Delete your browsing history
• Remove recent browsing, search and download history
• How to Clear History in Firefox 5 for Windows
• How to Clear History in Firefox 4 for Windows
• How to Clear Private Data, Empty Caches and Remove Cookies in Safari
How to clear the search history from your toolbar
Toolbars record the words you have searched for. To remove all the search words, check the individual instructions for your toolbar. For example, if you are using the Google toolbar, you just need to click the Google icon and choose Clear Search History.
Clear your Google Toolbar search history