Keeping safe and secure in your home and community is important for everyone, particularly for those communities who are more vulnerable to crime, or prejudice and hostility.
Victim Support stands with, and supports, all victims of crime and traumatic disaster, including those in the Rainbow Community. You can contact us with confidence. No one needs to be without support when a crime or a traumatic disaster negatively affects their lives. Please also see our Support Us link for information relating to specific life situations.
Here are links to helpful tips on a range of safety topics relevant for the LGBTQI+ rainbow community.
Personal Safety and Security Tips - Victim Support NZ
If you become a victim of family harm or violence see our section on family violence and harm for steps you can take and support available, here.
If you are being bullied or harassed, including online
There is support available to help.
- OUTLine – 0800 OUTLINE (688 5463) | Outline provides a free LGBTQIA+ helpline and support service.
- RainbowYOUTH – (09) 376 4155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org | Rainbow Youth is an advocacy and support service for queer and gender diverse (LGBTQIA+) youth.
- Intersex Awareness New Zealand – Provides information and education to support intersex people and their families.
- Netsafe – Text ‘Netsafe’ to 4282, call 0508 NETSAFE (0508 638 723), email email@example.com or report online.
- Youthline – Call 0800 376 633, Free TXT 234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org | Youthline provides a free counselling service for young people.
- Lifeline – Suicide Crisis Helpline – 0508 TAUTOKO (0508 828 865) | A free 24 hour suicide crisis helpline operated by trained counsellors.
- Shine – 0508 744 633 | A free helpline to provide support to people who have been victims of family violence.
Online Safety Tips - Victim Support NZ
Online Safety and Advice - Netsafe
Visually friendly and simply communicated guidelines – Netsafe
InsideOUT offers projects, resources and support for teachers, schools, young people and whānau, and for workplaces
Rainbow Community groups around Aotearoa New Zealand - Outline
Rainbow Community Resources – Engage NZ
Rainbow Support Organisations - Te Ngākau Kahukura